Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Double Knock-Out: Adam Kleeberger vs Tony Woodcock

Kleeberger unable to continue playing vs New Zealand

The final match of Pool A at Rugby World Cup 2011 took place in New Zealand´s capital, Wellington with the All Blacks taking on Canada. New Zealand had already secured top spot after defeateing Tonga, Japan and France in earlier matches. France had also guaranteed second spot after the Europeans had defeated Japan and Canada. Tonga were third after having completed two unexpected results with wins over both Japan and France but France had been able to collect two bonus points for scoring four tries in its two wins, unlike Tonga. This meant that the New Zealand vs Canada match had nothing riding on it. It gave the All Blacks a chance to play some attacking rugby to treat its fans.

Canada were given a tough ask of backing up to play its second match in five days after Canada had played Japan in Napier and snatched a late 23-23 draw after Japan had earlier been in control of the match. Canada´s players had to play out of their skins to fight back and get the draw. This left the team all but exhausted and made the prospect of facing New Zealand all that much tougher. Canada nonetheless stuck to its best lienup and did try to play some attacking rugby but signs of tiredness were all too clear as a fresh All Blacks side that had not played for eight days ran out easy winners to confirm the already known fourth Quarter Final which would be New Zealand vs Argentina.

One of the highest talking point of New Zealand´s 79-15 win was not the tries of the World Cup Quarter Finals. Rather it was the terrible head clash between Canadian backrower Adam Kleeberger and All Blacks loosehead prop Tony Woodcock. The incident occured late in the secondhalf with only seven minutes of play remaining. New Zealand spun the ball wide from the left hand touch line to the right. As if often the case with the All Blacks, both props were away from the tackle area and were open on the right hand touchline. Kleeberger was covering and successfully made the tackle on Woodcok who had recieved a pass from Sonny Bill Williams. Kleeberger made a front-on tackle but did so with his head in front of rather than behind the players legs. Consequently, Kleeberger´s head took the full impact of his opponent. The headclash instantly knocked out Kleeberger and he was forced to leave the field. Woodcock was also badly hurt but was able to continue.

Kleeberger vs Woodcock : Double KO ! por Le-Rugbynistere

1 comment: