Saturday, November 6, 2010

My message is simple: I want to see Uruguay in RWC New Zealand 2011. Please!


"My message is simple: I want to see Uruguay in the World Cup New Zealand 2011. Please!" said Darryl Dunn, who was met by Gustavo Zerbino (President of the URU) and presidents and representatives of Uruguayan First Division clubs as her acted as ambassador of Rugby World Cup 2011 which will be hosted in his home country of New Zealand.

The meeting took place on Saturday in Montevideo with the New Zealand ambassador talking ahead of Uruguay´s do-or-die home and away matches vs Romania this month with the winner on aggregate qualifying as the 20th and final team to compete at Rugby World Cup 2011. Dunn commented that "It would give me great pleasure and would be something very important and wonderful to see Uruguay take out the last available place at the Rugby World Cup. It's been a very successful year for Uruguay in soccer and hopefully it's the same in rugby".

Unfortunately, because of his profession, the ambassador will not travel to Rugby World Cup 2011, but wants to see the colour of Uruguay alongside Argentina participating in his home country. "I won´t travel to see the World Cup, I am a slave (he joked). I have to stay. I will travel only if there are many high-level visitors at the World Cup as Heads of State from different parts of the command. But I will stay here and I watch it on television."

Should Uruguay succeed in qualifying for New Zealand 2011, the Americas would have four teams competing at a Rugby World Cup for the third time in history and two South American countries would go head-to-head for the first time ever. Earlier in the week Uruguay defeated URBA Top 14 champions SIC 32-28 in a warm-up fixture ahead of the clashes vs Romania.

with thanks: www.uru.org.uy  

No comments:

Post a Comment